piranha: red origami crane (Default)
[personal profile] piranha
while the paramour was in vegas for a conference, i could commandeer the kitchen without interfering with the important task of food preparation. so i decided i'd do some dyeing of fibre and wool yarn.

i used jacquard acid dyes in 601 sun yellow, 620 hot fuschia, and 624 turquoise, which i had picked out a few years ago as the brightest primaries i could see from the colour swatches. i never dyed with them then because some other monomaniacal interest distracted me.

so this was a test run. i dyed 10g of handspun yarn (60% romney/40% merino) each, trying to get a regular gradation from pale pastel to fully saturated colour. i also had some bits of fleece which i found in a bag tossed away at value village; discarded probably because it had lots of vegetable matter. don't know what breed it is -- a longwool breed for sure, maybe border leicester. i'd love to have a whole fleece of this. the few staples i can pull out easily are beautiful; up to 19 cm (7.5") long, and lovely after washing. i tossed those into whatever dyebath was left when the yarn didn't exhaust it, mixing the colours.

washed wool staples
wool staples, washed


yarn sample being weighed on digital scale
weighing 10g of yarn on the kitchen scale

yarn sample skeined on tiny PVC niddy-noddy
skeining the yarn on my DIY niddy-noddy

yarn sample twisted into mini skein
tiny skein, awww

dyed yarn samples hung up to dry, sorted by colour
primaries dye run, and secondary green

dyed fibre, oranges and greens
loose fibre in oranges and greens

flicked fibre, oranges
flicked fibre (i use a dog flicker; don't have any proper combs or cards)

flicked fibre, greens
flicked fibre (oh so fluffy!)

glass jar with dyed fibre for felting, stacked
nothing is wasted; the leftover fibre after flicking can be used for felting

the gradation was kinda regular in some cases, not so much in others -- i used the same amounts for each sequence (1ml, 5ml, 10ml, 20ml) but that doesn't quite work; i need to do 0.5ml for a really pale, barely there colour, and 2.5 for an intermediate step. also, it seems to me that the yellow didn't stay well in solution (it might just be too old), and i didn't stir it enough in between). but this is a good start on getting a base line. i'm never going to actually dye quantities with these primaries, but only with mixed colours, and tone those down. i do think i picked the right hues as primaries -- the fuchsia is not what jacquard marks as a primary, but it is considerably brighter than their pick, and i want maximum brightness here.

next time i'll mix all the secondaries (re-doing the green as well, since it wasn't properly mixed this time).
From:
Anonymous (will be screened)
OpenID (will be screened if not validated)
Identity URL: 
User
Account name:
Password:
If you don't have an account you can create one now.
Subject:
HTML doesn't work in the subject.

Message:

If you are unable to use this captcha for any reason, please contact us by email at support@dreamwidth.org


 
Notice: This account is set to log the IP addresses of everyone who comments.
Links will be displayed as unclickable URLs to help prevent spam.

Profile

piranha: red origami crane (Default)
renaissance poisson

July 2015

S M T W T F S
   123 4
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 

Most Popular Tags

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags